Location: Loanhead with occasional travel to Cumbernauld
Job Code: E-M-TSTECH01
Test Site Technician
Location: Loanhead with occasional travel to Cumbernauld
About the Company
Skyrora are the UK’s leading New-Space small satellite launch vehicle engineering company, based in Edinburgh. Skyrora’s mission is to provide a versatile and dedicated sovereign launch capability to serve the world-leading satellite manufacturers local to the UK and Europe. Leading the UK’s effort to create a sustainable and environmentally friendly launch vehicle, Skyrora combines both world-leading innovative engineering solutions for the construction of its launch vehicles and liquid propulsion technologies. A focus of our technology approach is to minimise the impact on the immediate environment.
Small and Micro satellites are being used more and more in everyday life, with the manufacturing rate increasing year by year. They assist us by tracking forest fires, providing communications to remote places and capturing high-definition images of the Earth, to name a few. There is currently a lack of launch opportunities for smallsats, and it is Skyrora’s goal to open this access to space, to unlock the potential for all.
We design and build our launch vehicles in house and aim to launch from the UK with our Skyrora XL, a 3-stage liquid launch vehicle. We have built the UK’s largest test engine facility, this groundbreaking testing infrastructure will aid the testing of engines on our orbital Skyrora XL launch vehicle, allowing Skyrora to both become the first British company to launch from British soil and deliver sovereign UK launch capability at scale in the long term. In our engine development, we performed over 120 liquid engine tests in 2020 alone. Globally, we have recently secured over £3M in ESA funding, to accelerate our development activities.
We have built the UK’s largest test engine facility, this groundbreaking testing infrastructure will aid the testing of engines on our orbital Skyrora XL launch vehicle, allowing Skyrora to both become the first British company to launch from British soil and deliver sovereign UK launch capability at scale in the long term!
Team working is at our core and we face new challenges every day. Every member of Skyrora’s diverse team demonstrates entrepreneurial flexibility to cooperate and establish sustainable solutions to all the challenges thrown at us; from creating the legal landscape enabling space flight in UK, to societal challenge of fighting global pandemics such as COVID-19, Skyrora is constantly challenging itself.
Why not challenge yourself in trying to get the UK back to space?
About the Role
We operate the largest Test Site facility within the United Kingdom, based here in Scotland. This is an exciting step for Skyrora with this site facilitating the testing of our 70kN engines.
To operate and upgrade our Engine Test Facilities, we are currently looking to recruit a proactive and process-oriented Test Site Technician to join our fast-paced Test Operations Team.
The successful candidate will play a key role in test site set up, improvement works and conducting hot fire acceptance tests of our suite of engines. Additionally, they will be required to operate pneumatic systems, follow test campaigns and deliver test procedures. Teamwork and collaboration are at the forefront of our operations success to ensure that our test sites are maintained to the highest standards and continuously improved for future engines and technologies.
Not only will the successful candidate be responsible for build, operations, and maintenance of our test facilities, but they will also play a key role in the design process by providing feedback to our Design Engineers on how the resources will be operated and maintained.
The ideal candidate will have experience of working with complex high pressure industrial pneumatic and hydraulic feed systems and a range of other maintenance of the test site systems.
This is a great opportunity to join us at our new Test Site Facility and be part of our journey to orbit.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks
- Set up and conduct cold flow & hot fire tests with the team to flight approval
- Responsible for pneumatic and hydraulic feed system operations for test campaigns, system activation and improvement work
- Conducting regular industrial system maintenance
- Sizing and installation of new test system fluid components (valves, regulators etc)
- Providing technical input and working with the team to design and install new test site improvements
- Modify and operate high pressure fluid feed systems
- Build, and install mechanical systems (pumps, blast protection equipment, ventilation systems and support stands
- Follow testing procedures, plans and methodology
- Assist in the design of test fixtures, test setups, and test stands
- Handling hazardous chemicals such as HTP and Kerosene
- Troubleshooting and problem solving of issues that arise
- Work closely with the H&S Officer to maintain and improve site safety
- Report to the Test Site Operations Manager
Essential Experience & Skills
- Experience of hazardous and critical operations
- Knowledge of high-pressure feed system components and instrumentation (e.g.pressure regulators, check valves, actuated valves, mass flow rate sensors, thermocouples, pressure sensors, solenoids and relays)
- Understanding of P&ID
- Mechanical assembly and maintenance experience
- Ability to read and follow mechanical drawings
- Knowledge of hazardous systems (cryogenic, flammable, high pressure, corrosive and ox)
- Ability to review test data and fault find any system issues
- Ability to work independently solving complex problems with minimal supervision on tight schedules
- A proactive and enthusiastic attitude with the ability to work under high stress environments
- Flexible attitude required to meet the workload based on operational needs
Desirable Experience & Skills
- HND or Apprenticeship in a mechanical related field
- Valid passport, including right to work in the UK
- Full driving licence
- Must be willing to work overtime and weekends, going the extra mile to meet critical company deadlines
- Must be willing to work in a dynamic teamwork-oriented environment
To apply, please send your CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject header displaying the job code E-M-TSTECH01.