Job Code: E-TS-SYSENG01
About the Company
Skyrora are the UK’s leading New-Space small satellite launch vehicle engineering company, based in Edinburgh. Skyrora’s mission is to provide a versatile and dedicated sovereign launch capability to serve the world-leading satellite manufacturers local to the UK and Europe. Leading the UK’s effort to create a sustainable and environmentally friendly launch vehicle, Skyrora combines both world-leading innovative engineering solutions for the construction of its launch vehicles and liquid propulsion technologies. A focus of our technology approach is to minimise the impact on the immediate environment.
Small and Micro satellites are being used more and more in everyday life, with the manufacturing rate increasing year by year. They assist us by tracking forest fires, providing communications to remote places and capturing high-definition images of the Earth, to name a few. There is currently a lack of launch opportunities for smallsats, and it is Skyrora’s goal to open this access to space, to unlock the potential for all.
We design and build our launch vehicles in house and aim to launch from the UK with our Skyrora XL, a 3-stage liquid launch vehicle. We have built the UK’s largest test engine facility, this groundbreaking testing infrastructure will aid the testing of engines on our orbital Skyrora XL launch vehicle, allowing Skyrora to both become the first British company to launch from British soil and deliver sovereign UK launch capability at scale in the long term. In our engine development, we performed over 120 liquid engine tests in 2020 alone. Globally, we have recently secured over £3M in ESA funding, to accelerate our development activities.
We have built the UK’s largest test engine facility, this groundbreaking testing infrastructure will aid the testing of engines on our orbital Skyrora XL launch vehicle, allowing Skyrora to both become the first British company to launch from British soil and deliver sovereign UK launch capability at scale in the long term!
Team working is at our core and we face new challenges every day. Every member of Skyrora’s diverse team demonstrates entrepreneurial flexibility to cooperate and establish sustainable solutions to all the challenges thrown at us; from creating the legal landscape enabling space flight in UK, to societal challenge of fighting global pandemics such as COVID-19, Skyrora is constantly challenging itself.
Why not challenge yourself in trying to get the UK back to space?
About the Role
As Skyrora push forward on our journey to orbit, we are rapidly expanding our teams to maintain our current pace of development. Skyrora requires an experienced Systems Engineer to support the development, design and verification of our primary orbital launch vehicle.
In this role the candidate would be a key player in determining critical engineering systems and would be driving the technical delivery of projects. You will be presented with challenging technical problems and be required to work alongside a dedicated team to solve these issues and keep our projects on schedule. As such you will need to be resilient, respond to challenges and consistently perform to the highest standard.
This is a fantastic opportunity to be a part of a truly dynamic and exciting industry. We are looking for individuals who are highly dedicated to their work and who take pride in consistently pushing the boundaries of what is achievable. Apply now to play your part in our journey to orbit.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks
- Creation and management of Systems Engineering documentation
- Managing stakeholders and ensuring technical delivery of Engineering Projects and Grants
- Delivery of verification evidence for XL Launch vehicle and its systems
- Contribute to upcoming Grants and Future Projects
Essential Experience & Skills
- 3+ Experience in a Systems Engineering role
- Experience with systems engineering for Vehicle Systems in Aerospace or Defence
- Have track record of delivering Product Verification
- Experience of running fast paced operations, managing and motivating teams to succeed
- Experience of maintaining relationships and liaison with team members and key stakeholders, both internal and external
- Strong communication skills - ensuring team members understand key messages and expectations
- Demonstrated leadership in establishing a high performing safety culture
- Sound knowledge and understanding of recognised Health and Safety regulations
Desirable Experience & Skills
- Experience with the ECSS systems engineering process
- Bachelor’s degree minimum in an engineering related field (Aerospace / Mechanical etc)
- Experience in an Electrical, Mechanical or RF design role
- Valid passport, including right to work in the UK
- Full driving licence is preferred
- Must be willing to work overtime and weekends, going the extra mile to meet critical company deadlines.
- Must be willing to work in a dynamic teamwork-oriented environment
To apply, please send your CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject header displaying the job code E-TS-MECHTECH01.