Working at Skyrora
A Career in the Space Industry
Our current open vacancies
Engineering and Business Summer Internships
About the Internships on Offer
You will work on critical launch vehicle development works and receive industry-spec training and skills which you can utilise to excel in your studies upon your return. You will receive assignments and individual projects and will be required to communicate and work alongside subject matter experts to broaden your understanding of engineering in the space industry.
The internship will provide the opportunity to work alongside various teams as part of the development and manufacture of Skyrora’s launch vehicles. We have seen previous interns provide support to the design team in review meetings, learn how to weld, operate an array of machinery, and assist with the testing and launch of vehicles from various sites around Scotland and Europe.
Previous internship student Katie Lockhart travelled to Iceland to launch the Skylark Micro LV to 26km.
You will work to provide input and development at governmental, public, and customer level to develop Skyrora’s economic and social reach in the industry. You will be involved in review meetings and receive training in Brand Identity, Public and Corporate Relations, and Governmental Communication. You will be assigned to projects which shape Skyrora’s place as the UK’s leading launch provider.
Skyrora look for business interns who demonstrate drive and an ability to be confident particularly in relation to networking. A strong candidate for the business internship would be enthusiastic about their role within the company, with an eager-to-learn attitude and an ability to bring fresh ideas to the table
Required Skills and Experience
- Actively enrolled in an Undergraduate University Degree programme in a related field for the internship you choose (for the Engineering Internship route, Engineering and Physics degrees are ideal. For the Business Internship, those within various general fields will be considered).
- The right to live and work in the UK.
- Strong analytical skills
- Proven experience of informed decision making based on assessment of relevant information
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Ability to perform under pressure
- Diligence and ability to handle many projects and deadlines at once
- Some experience in leadership positions and ability to be proactive and demonstrate initiative ‘Black Box’ thinking: can you solve a problem with little to zero input and deduce a solution?
What you will receive in return
Throughout the internship successful candidates will be able to harness the skills, knowledge, and theoretical practice taught throughout their time at university and apply these within the industry environment. This could be on a rocket engine test site, in a boardroom meeting, or in a launch demonstration in Iceland!
Skyrora’s interns will be delegated responsibilities from day one, with access to a wide variety of training and support. Interns will also gain access to Skyrora’s latest tools and technology, gaining vital hands-on skills through instruction by subject matter experts.
- CPD training opportunities
- A competitive internship salary
- Plenty of Skyrora merchandise
How to apply
If this sounds exciting to you and you are interested in being a part of Skyrora’s 2021 Student Summer Internship Programme, please email your CV and cover letter to email@example.com. Please ensure the subject line is titled ‘SSIP 2021’ followed by the route you wish to apply within - “Business” or “Engineering”.
In the cover letter, we are interested to hear what sparked your interest in the programme and why you would be a suitable and appointable candidate. Closing date for applications is 26th April 2021 and only successful candidates who progress to the interview stage will be contacted. Successful candidates will be contacted on the 7th May 2021 to set up interview dates (via Zoom).
Final selection is expected to take place on the 14th May 2021, with internships expected to start on the 1st June 2021 at our Edinburgh offices/facilities.
Best of luck, we look forward to receiving your applications!